Hugo Martín, Los Angeles Times

Hugo Martín

Los Angeles Times

Los Angeles, CA, United States

Contact Hugo

Discover and connect with journalists and influencers around the world, save time on email research, monitor the news, and more.

Start free trial

Recent:
  • Los Angeles Times
Past:
  • The Union-Tribune
  • The Miami Herald
  • chicagotribune.com
  • Orlando Sentinel
  • Sun Sentinel
  • New York Daily News
  • The Morning Call
  • Hartford Courant
  • The Baltimore Sun

Recent articles by Hugo:

Card clubs offer reopening plan as tribal and Vegas casinos get back in the game

Coronavirus: Card clubs are working on protocols for reopening → Read More

Why airlines are using diplomacy, not threats, to enforce mask rules on planes

Airlines want passengers to wear masks on planes. But how do the airlines enforce that? → Read More

Coronavirus cancels the L.A County Fair, a first since WWII

Live most other regional fairs and large gatherings, the Los Angeles County Fair won't happen as scheduled in September. → Read More

Airports are testing thermal cameras and other technology to screen travelers for COVID-19

Technology companies are rolling out the latest in their arsenal of screening devices to look for COVID-19 symptoms at airports. → Read More

The coronavirus hit to L.A. tourism: 22 million visitors and $13 billion in spending

Tourism officials estimate 75% of Los Angeles travel-related workers have been furloughed. → Read More

After coronavirus and 100,000 furloughs, where does Disney go from here?

Disney has furloughed much of its staff and cut executive salaries. The impacts on Hollywood's dominant company could be long-lasting. → Read More

Travel industry offers new safety procedures in bid to revive business

Hoping to get Americans traveling again, a travel trade group has developed cleaning protocols and other steps to protect people. → Read More

Major U.S. airlines will require masks to slow coronavirus spread

To slow the spread of the novel coronavirus, passengers soon will be required to wear masks by the largest airlines in the U.S. → Read More

Theme park fans are re-creating rides at home, with tennis balls and pets as special effects

Disneyland is closed -- but that hasn't stopped fans from building their own theme park rides and attractions in their homes and backyards. → Read More

More flying changes: American and JetBlue want you to wear a mask

American will begin handing out masks to passengers next month but won't require that they be worn. JetBlue is mandating masks but won't be giving them out. → Read More

When will Disneyland and other parks reopen? How will they keep visitors safe?

Theme parks like Disneyland may not reopen until 2021. Expect parks to limit attendance, take temperatures, space out lines and sanitize, sanitize, sanitize. → Read More

Lawsuits are a predictable coronavirus side effect

A rise in coronavirus related lawsuits include gyms, colleges, airlines and cruise ships → Read More

Flying during coronavirus is nothing like it used to be

Airline passenger volume is down 95%. So who is in that remaining 5%? → Read More

How airport control towers keep operating after workers test positive for coronavirus

What happens when a coronavirus infection affects an air traffic control tower? → Read More

Universal Studios Hollywood to stay closed at least until May 31

Universal Studios Hollywood and the Universal Orlando Resort extend the shutdown that started March 14 because of the coronavirus outbreak. → Read More

COVID-19 made cruises look terrible. But fans are still booking trips for 2021

Cruise bookings for next year are up despite waves of bad publicity for the industry caused by coronavirus outbreaks on some ships. → Read More

Hotels and cruise ships offer to serve as hospitals. Is it a good idea?

Hotels are housing the sick and first responders, but cruise ships are less suitable because of tight quarters and shared ventilation, experts say. → Read More

Flying during coronavirus is scary. Flight attendants want you to stop

Flight attendants want nonessential flights to stop amid coronavirus outbreak → Read More

Airlines pivot from passengers to cargo amid coronavirus crisis

Amid a huge drop in passenger demand because of the coronavirus outbreak, airlines turn to flying cargo only instead of people on some flights. → Read More

Hard-hit cruise lines don't get coronavirus stimulus money

President Trump wanted to save the cruise industry but the $2-trillion coronavirus stimulus package bill won't help. → Read More